Posted on: September 19, 2022 Posted by: AKDSEO Comments: 0

I almost always make a new dress to wear on my birthday each year. For 2022, I was seeing a musical production of Twelve Angry Men, and I wanted to have a “special” day dress and something for the show. 

I went to a recent make, M7834 for the day dress. When I finished the paisley version, I knew I’d be making it in this cotton clip dot from SR Harris, and leaving it sleeveless. It’s such a cute pattern and I loved how the original turned out. 

I made no changes other than narrowing the shoulder as I mentioned in the last post, but I should have! I’ve said it myself a thousand times, FABRIC CHANGES FIT! The first one was made in a heavier rayon challis with beautiful drape. This cotton one pulls a bit at the bust. 

A woman stopped to tell me I looked very pretty, and that she’s inspired to get a white summer dress now. 
yes! yes! yes!!

And the pretty blue purse I treated myself to as an early birthday gift! 

It turned out pretty-ok and I loved wearing it! I started the day with a trip to my favorite bakery for a pastry and a latte, then I went and got the Benz shined up! 🙂 Afterwards, I worked that day until about 2 or 3 and started to get ready for dinner and the show.

For evening, I sewed Burda 7/2022 #106. I know I’ve gained some weight, it was endo-belly time, and this dress is fitted. So I traced a 42 neckline and armholes and a 44 for the rest. I should have known better but I was short on time. I ended up having to blind stitch the surplice down in front because it was huge and gaping. I am a 42 on top in Burda with the waist graded to a 44. Doh. The ties were tied really tight, too! LOL!

I used this rayon challis that I got when I visited SR Harris back in 2018. I sewed the side seams a little larger through the bust, did not add hem allowance on the skirt but hemmed at 5/8″, and tacked down the front as mentioned. 

Since the fabric and lining (cotton voile) are so lightweight, I used the “trick” learned some time ago and trimmed 1/8″ from the neckline edges in lieu of understitching. It works well when both fabric are very light and takes a press well. 

I don’t know what point the surplice serves though as it has a side zipper. I think it would work fine as a v-neck. 

Speaking of…I’ve read lots of “fear” type things about side zippers, but it was easy peasy! I tacked the bodice lining to the waist seam by hand.

And it has twirl factor!! Woot! 

I just spent 3 days at a machine knitting camp and it was AWESOME! I’m going to do a separate write-up for that.